COMPETE TRAINING JOURNAL
Nothing makes a runner feel quite so alive as the pre-race jitters. Racing is when you find out what works for you and what holds you back, when you find out how you stack up—and where you want to go next.Whether your next race is a 5K or an ultramarathon, the Compete Training Journal will transform your approach to competing and make sure that race day brings out the best in you. New racers will get a fast-track road map to racing success while experienced competitors will deepen all aspects of their mental game for even better performances.Drawing from their two decades of professional racing experience, runners Lauren Fleshman and Roisin McGettigan-Dumas will guide you to:
- Set goals you can achieve.
- Map out the steps to achieve your goals.
- Log your workouts.
- Keep it real—and avoid harmful obsession with outcomes.
- Make racing an expression of your training.
- Set smart race strategies.
- Relax! And train with intention.
- Emphasize the process instead of the goals.
- Avoid comparing yourself to others.
- Get in the zone the week before your race.
- Own your strengths—and root out your weaknesses.
- Build up a strong “race case”.
- Keep it fun.
- Reflect on your season and consider the next challenge.